A Sildenafil oral pill is used for the treatment of ED and PAH. For both illnesses, generic oral pills are available; brand-name medications, on the other hand, address only one of the two conditions. To treat erectile dysfunction (ED), prescription medicine called Viagra is used. With Erectile Dysfunction, it’s impossible to get an erection (ED). Revatio is used to treat PAH. This refers to abnormally high blood pressure in the lung tissue. It takes a tremendous amount of effort from your heart to pump blood into your lungs. A prescription is required to purchase Sildenafil. You can get it both in tablet and liquid suspension form (liquid). Sildenafil can be taken orally and is quite effective. However, a doctor must administer the intravenous (IV) type. Brand-name Viagra and Revatio contain oral sildenafil tablets. Another option is to purchase the drug in the form of generics available in ed pharmacy delivery. It is common for generic pharmaceuticals to be cheaper than their brand-name counterparts, however, this is not always true. As a result, some brand-name medications may not be accessible in all concentrations or formulations. For men with erectile dysfunction, this medication can be helpful. When paired with sexual stimulation, Sildenafil improves blood flow to the penis, helping men achieve and maintain erections. Sexually transmitted diseases are not protected by this drug (for example HIV, gonorrhea, hepatitis B, syphilis). By utilizing latex condoms, ensure that you are having “safe sex”. If you’d like to learn more, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
How it works
Sildenafil works by inhibiting phosphodiesterase type-5, an enzyme in your body. A group of pharmaceuticals that function in the same way is known as a class. It is common to utilize these medications in the treatment of related illnesses. According to the disease it’s being used to treat, the drug sildenafil works in a variety of ways:
- To treat erectile dysfunction, Sildenafil increases blood flow to the genital area. This aids in erection initiation and maintenance. Sexual stimulation is necessary for Sildenafil to operate.
- If you have PAH, Sildenafil works by relaxing your muscles and opening up your lungs’ blood channels. It lowers your pulmonary blood pressure. Taking Sildenafil helps to slow down the growth of your disease. You’ll also be able to work out better because of it.
How to use the drug Sildenafil
If you’re taking a Sildenafil to treat erectile dysfunction, you should follow these instructions:
- Before the sexual activity, take sildenafil as needed. Before engaging in sexual activity, it is recommended that you take sildenafil at least an hour in advance. However, you can take it anywhere from 4 hours to 30 minutes before the sexual activity. Take Sildenafil every 24 hours or less.
- If you have certain medical conditions or are taking certain medications, your doctor may prescribe taking sildenafil less regularly. It is possible to take sildenafil even without meals. But if you take sildenafil with a fatty meal, the drug won’t function as quickly.
- Please follow your doctor’s instructions if you’re using sildenafil to treat PAH. Consume sildenafil three times a day, either with or without food. It is best to take sildenafil every day at a time, with a 4 to 6-hour break between dosages.
- Don’t ignore what your prescription label says. If you have questions about something you don’t understand, ask your doctor or pharmacist. When using sildenafil, follow your doctor’s instructions to the letter. Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions on dosage and frequency.
- You must spread the drug evenly throughout the drink. Your prescription should come with an oral syringe so that you can keep track of your dosage. As with any medical device, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and cleaning. The drink should not contain any additional drugs.
- While using sildenafil for erectile dysfunction, your doctor will likely start you off on a standard dose of it and gradually increase or decrease your dosage based on how you respond. Disclose any adverse effects or ineffectiveness of this drug with your doctor.
When not to be taken
In some cases, a medicine can only be used with particular caution if the patient has a certain condition. For these reasons, it’s crucial to let your doctor know before you start taking sildenafil:
- If your penis is afflicted with a disease, damage, or deformity.
- If you’ve ever had a vision-threatening eye condition.
- Anyone with a cardiac or blood vascular problem.
- If you suffer from chest pain or have low blood pressure.
- If your liver or kidneys are malfunctioning.
- Had a heart attack or a stroke.
- For example, you have an ulcer in your stomach that is causing you to bleed.
- If you suffer from sickle cell anemia.
- A bone marrow malignancy or leukemia diagnosis.
- Taking or using any other medications. Also included in this category are prescription and over-the-counter medication, including herbal and alternative treatments and recreational substances.
- When a medication causes an allergic reaction, this is known as a drug allergy.
After taking sildenafil or other medications that are similar to sildenafil, some patients suffered an abrupt loss of vision. Blindness was permanent in several circumstances. If you suddenly lose your vision while taking sildenafil, call your doctor right away. Keep your dose of sildenafil or similar medications such as Cialis or Levitra until you have spoken to your doctor about taking more.
Sildenafil users have been linked to heart attacks and strokes, as well as bleeding in the brain or lungs and high blood pressure, as well as sudden death. Although not all of the participants in the research had heart problems before taking sildenafil, the majority did. Sildenafil, sexual activity, cardiac disease, or a combination of these and other reasons may have contributed to these events. When using Sildenafil, follow your doctor’s instructions exactly.
Sildenafil or other drugs that are sildenafil-like have caused abrupt hearing loss in certain patients. If only one ear was affected by the hearing loss, stopping the drug did not always help. The source of the hearing impairment is unknown at this time. Call your doctor right away if you have unexpected hearing loss, sometimes with ringing in the ears, or dizziness while taking sildenafil. To prevent erectile dysfunction, you should not take any more sildenafil (Viagra) or related medications like tadalafil (Cialis) or vardenafil (Levitra) until you have spoken to your physician. Take sildenafil (Revatio) for PAH, do not stop taking it until you have talked to a physician.
Sildenafil oral pill does not induce dizziness, but it can induce the following side effects:
- Irritated stomach
- Having difficulties falling asleep.
- a prolonged erection
- infection in the lungs
- a swollen throat
- a sore throat
They may go away in a few days or a few weeks if they are minor. When symptoms worsen or don’t improve, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Severe Side Effects
Immediately contact your doctor if you have any major side effects. Significant adverse effects and symptoms include those listed below.
- A low blood pressure reading. As an example,
- Vision is hazy
- Vomiting or feeling sick
- Insufficiency of oxygen to the lungs
- Problems with vision. As an example,
- one or both eyes have a sudden loss of vision
- Hearing difficulties. As an example,
- unexpected hearing loss
- unhappiness with the sound of your voice (ringing in your ears)
- A heart attack, stroke, or irregular heartbeat are all examples of cardiac disorders. As an example,
- chest pain is a common occurrence.
- Having difficulty speaking
- Vomiting or feeling sick
How to store the drug
Be sure to keep this medication tightly wrapped in the original container it came in, and out of children’s reach. Avoid excessive heat and wetness. No, do not freeze the suspension. Store it at ambient temperature or in a refrigerator. After 60 days, throw away any unused suspension. Children can easily open some containers (such as those that are weekly pill minders and eye drops) because they are not childproof. Avoid poisoning small children by securing safety caps on drugs and keeping them in a high, out-of-the-way location that is out of sight and reach. To prevent animals, kids, and other people from ingesting unneeded pharmaceuticals they must be thrown of in a specific manner. This drug, however, should not be flushed down the toilet. A medicine take-back program is a better option for disposing of your medicines. Ask your pharmacist or your municipal garbage/recycling department for local take-back programs.